American Language Academy’s Intensive English Program (IEP) is designed to offer the best learning experiences and support to English learners to meet their needs for their academic purposes. ALA offers seven proficiency levels of intensive English language instruction: Introduction to English, Foundation English (Levels 1-3), Academic English (Levels 4-5), and Advanced Academic English (Level 6). All seven course levels, from Introduction to English through Advanced Academic English Level 6 are part of the Intensive English Program. Students graduate upon successful completion of Level 5.
Our IEP specializes in providing English language instruction for students who wish to attend an American university or college for their undergraduate and graduate studies. ALA has partnerships with many excellent colleges and universities across the United States. ALA provides international students with a way to enter undergraduate and graduate programs at its partner universities in the U.S. upon graduation from our IEP. Our partners agree that graduation from Level 5 satisfies their English language proficiency requirements for admission in lieu of the TOEFL, IELTS, or other standardized English test. The ALA graduation certificate assures the institution that the student possesses the English language skills necessary to succeed at the university level.
English Level Progression
- Each level consists of 9 weeks, 22 hours of instruction per week, Monday through Friday
- Skills learned for each level: Listening, Writing, Reading, Speaking, and Grammar
- Experiential Learning activities designed for students to experience American culture
- American cultural activities, field trips, and extracurricular social events throughout each session
- Overall grade of 80% or higher to be promoted to the next level
- Students must attend the minimum of 158 hours per level in order to be promoted to the next level
- Level 5 graduates earn an ALA certificate of Intensive English Program completion
- Over 20 ALA partner universities accept the ALA graduation certificate which waives TOEFL, IELTS, or other standardized English test scores!
- Open enrollment throughout the session
Authorized under Federal law to enroll non immigrant students
Accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA)