PLACEMENT TEST INSTRUCTION
STEP I: TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Broadband Internet connection:
- Download speed – 750 kbps minimum
- Upload speed – 250 kbps minimum
- Click here to know your internet speed.
- Desktop or Laptop only
- Operating System: Windows 7 or newer or Mac OS X
- CPU: 700 MHz Pentium II-class processor or newer
- Memory: 512 MB
- Video – Monitor and standard VGA card, capable of 800 x 600 resolution or greater, and able to display a minimum of 256 colors (16-bit color or better is recommended).
- sound Card – 16-bit sound card
- Headset and microphone, keyboard, mouse
- Adobe Flash Player (latest version) for use with Internet Explorer
- Verify your Flash installation here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/
- Download Flash Player here: http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash/
- Microsoft Internet Explorer browser (version 9 or higher) (PC ONLY)
- Google Chrome browser (latest version) (PC or Mac)
- Mozilla Firefox browser (latest version) (PC or Mac)
- Please note: Safari is not allowed
STEP II: PRACTICES AND PAYMENT
Click here to take a sample test to check your technical settings and practice. if you can finish the test, your computer and internet are ready for your official test.
- Click on “CLICK TO BEGIN” and go through the Technical Checklist
- if the Technical Checklist indicates any missing components, please install those components (RED text indicates software is missing, GREEN indicates software is installed correctly) by following the directions indicated in the pop-up window that will appear.
- Your test may have a speaking section, but you can click the “No” button when asked if there is a speaking section if you don’t want to record your voice.
- Your test can use your camera, but it is not required for samples, and you may click the “No” button when asked if the test requires a camera.
- If all of the sections: Web Browser, Internet Connection Speed, Audio Player, Voice Recorder, and Camera are all followed by GREEN text, please click the “Next” button and continue to the next step.
- You will now come upon the registration screen. Please enter your information. Click the “Next” button to proceed.
- A few screens will let you adjust your volume and tell you about the test.
- From the “Prepare to Start” screen, click the “Next” button to start the test!
Click here to pay your test fee. ALA will email an iTEP test ID login and password .
STEP III: YOUR TEST ID & SCORE
- Check your email, you will receive your test ID and Password from us to do the test.
- When you are ready, click here to take your test. You will use your test ID and [password to take the test. You will receive your score when it is ready.
I am in the middle of taking my exam and the power goes out. What do I do?
- If you experience any power outages, or your computer shuts down, you can restart your computer, go to the start page link (above), and launch the test again.
My system becomes unresponsive and the application freezes. What can I do?
- Restart the computer, go to the start page link (above), and try again.
I can’t hear anything. What is the problem?
- Make sure your headphones are plugged in and the volume is turned up. If your browser is Safari, click on Safari, then Preferences, then Auto-Play, and make sure besexam.com has the “Allow All Auto-Play” setting.
The exam just crashed. What happened?
- Our exam relies on Adobe Flash Player or MP3 player in order to run. Please make sure this program is installed and active on your system if your system did not show MP3 as the Audio Player.
- Uninstall and reinstall Flash again before going back to the exam website to be sure they are properly installed. Make sure to restart your computer after every final installation in order to refresh the configuration files of your Operating System.
- Check your firewall system settings and make sure the needed components are functioning. If these actions do not fix the problem, please contact us at email@example.com
IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:
- Remember to have your webcam activated and positioned to see you. Your entire face must be clearly visible during the entire test. If we cannot see your entire face then your test scores will be automatically invalidated.
- Our Fotosure security software takes photos every minute of the test and every photo is reviewed by the iTEP graders.
- There is ZERO TOLERANCE for cheating. Any instances of cheating will result in your test scores being invalidated and the school will be notified.